Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch or an easy meal prep idea, this pasta salad recipe is exactly what you need! It is super easy and customizable with your favorite toppings!
I always love to have meals prepped and ready for lunch. After a long day of school or work, pre-made lunch can be so nice and easy.
But, I found I am always limited to what I can make because everything tastes bad after a few days or gets soggy and old.
That’s what I love about this pasta salad recipe. I only have to make it once on Sunday and be set for lunch for the entire week. It tastes brand new everyday and only uses a few ingredients!
This post is all about a pasta salad recipe!
To make the pasta salad
Make the pasta
Every pasta salad recipe starts with, you guessed it, the pasta. Just cook your pasta according to the directions on the box. Once it’s all cooked, wash it with cold water to stop the cooking process.
You also want to make sure you dry off your pasta a little bit. Just take some paper towels and dry the pasta to get rid of some of the water. That way, when you add the ingredients, it isn’t too watery.
Add the other ingredients
Once your pasta is all cooked and dried, mix it with the pesto and balsamic vinegar. Just mix until combined and then add the rest of the ingredients.
I love to use halved cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls to make it a caprese pasta salad. You can basically add whatever toppings you like.
Some other yummy ones are chopped basil or peppers.
To eat the pasta salad
The best part about this pasta salad recipe is that you can eat it almost immediately, save it for later, or prep it for the week. Once you combine all the ingredients, I would suggest refrigerating the pasta salad for at least 30 minutes if you want to eat it right away.
If you are looking to save it for later in the week, all you have to do is put it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last about 4-6 days this way. Either you can put all of your pasta salad in one container or pre-portion it into containers for each day of the week.
For lunch, I usually just have the pasta salad as is. However, if you want to add some protein and make it a dinner, this goes really well with grilled or breaded chicken. Click for my simple breaded chicken recipe to level up your pasta salad.
Caprese Pasta Salad
- 1 lb pasta
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella balls You can also use sliced mozzarella cheese cut in cubes
- Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, pesto, and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Once combined, add the halved cherry tomatoes and mozzarella balls and mix again.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before eating. To save, store in airtight containers. Pasta salad will last in the fridge for 4-6 days.
If you are looking for some more recipes to try out, click to check out my Recipes library for some inspiration! Happy cooking!
This post was all about an easy pasta salad recipe!
Other posts you may like:
- 36 Easy Microwave Recipes for College Students
- 38 Item College Grocery List + Beginner Shopping Guide
- My Best Grocery Shopping Tips for New Shoppers